Residents of Old Fort Harmony
JOHN D. LEE
John D. Lee was called to lead and organize a group of harty pioneers to help settle and open the "Iron Mission". A vast deposit of Iron ore was discovered in the Cedar Valley and Brigham Young wanted his followers to tap this vital resource.
John D. Lee and his wives moved in to a valley south of Present day Cedar City and called his new home "Harmony". His friendly dealings with the local Paiute Indians was recognized the the U.S. Government. He was later appointed a U.S. Government Indian Agent.
Under the direction of Brigham Young, John D. Lee supervised the building
of Fort Harmony in 1853.
For a detailed history click here